Our homes do not come with instructions on how to properly maintain our drains, so it is important to understand what can cause a drain blockage and know how to prevent them. Plumbing blockages are common and can be caused by a variety of things, including hair, grease, food particles, and other debris. To prevent clogged drains from happening, it is important to take some preventative measures.
In this article, you will learn about the causes of drain blockage, as well as some tips to help prevent them from happening in the future.
What can cause a drain blockage?
Drain blockages happen when debris accumulates in the pipes, blocking the flow of water. These are some of the most common causes of a plumbing blockage:
- Hair – Long hair can easily become tangled in the pipes, causing a blockage. When washing your hair in the shower, try to keep it away from the drain.
- Grease and food particles – Grease and food scraps can easily accumulate in pipes, leading to a blockage. It is important to be mindful of what you are putting down your drains, as these items can cause a buildup over time.
- Other debris – Small items such as toys, paper products, and cotton balls can easily get stuck in the pipes. It is important to be careful of what you are flushing down your toilets and sinks.
These are some of the most common causes of plumbing blockages, however, other potential causes may be unique to your home.
How can I prevent drain blockages?
There are a few steps you can take to help prevent future clogs from occurring. Here are some tips for preventing drain blockage:
- Use a strainer – Placing strainers in your sinks and showers will help to catch any debris before it enters the pipes. This is a simple and easy way to help prevent blockages.
- Regularly clean your drains – A plunger or drain cleaner can be used to help remove any debris that has built up over time. It is important to do this regularly to keep the pipes clear and flowing freely.
- Be mindful of what you flush – It is important to avoid flushing items that are not meant to be put down a toilet or drain. This includes items such as dental floss, cotton balls, paper towels, and diapers.
By following these simple tips, you can help prevent plumbing blockages in your home. If you experience any recurring blockages, it is important to contact a professional local plumber in Salt Lake City or wherever you are located as soon as possible. They can help assess the situation and provide you with the best solution for your home.
How to clean the drains in your bathroom and kitchen
Keeping your drains clean and free of debris is an important part of preventative maintenance. Here are some tips on how to properly clean your bathroom and kitchen drains:
- Use a drain cleaner or plunger– This is an effective way to help remove any debris that has built up over time.
- Use a pipe snake– If your pipes are blocked by a large object, using a pipe snake can help to dislodge it and keep the drain flowing freely.
- Pour hot water down the drains– Pouring boiling water down your drains can help to melt away any grease or soap residue that has built up.
- Use baking soda and vinegar– This combination is a natural way to help clean your pipes and dissolve any debris that may be stuck in the pipes.
By following these tips, you can help keep your drains clean and free of blockages. If you experience any recurring plumbing issues, it is important to contact a professional plumber as soon as possible. They can help assess the situation and provide you with the best solution for your home.
Lastly, we want to emphasize how important it is to be mindful of what you are flushing down your drains. By being proactive with the items that go down your sinks and toilets, you can help prevent future blockages in your home.
Do you have any additional questions about drain blockages and their prevention? If so, please feel free to reach out to us and we will be happy to help.