QA or Quantitative Aptitude is considerably a tough section of the CAT exam. The questions asked are generally of 10th standard mathematics. The difficulty level of questions from this section is high and aspirants must prepare well for it. CAT is a test of accuracy and speed, for which you need to answer as quickly and as correctly as you can. In this article, BYJU’S Exam Prep’s expert faculties have curated a list of strategies and tips all CAT Aspirants must follow to ace CAT QA section .
The CAT 2021 dates were announced 1 month back and it will be held on 28 November 2021 (last Sunday of November 2021). CAT is the most anticipated National Level MBA Entrance Test that is taken by 2 lac+ candidates every year; however, only a few thousand of them make it to their dream management college. The QA section is expected to hold equivalent weightage as VARC in CAT 2021.
CAT 2021: Topic Wise Weightage for Quantitative Aptitude
As seen in the past trend, some topics are quite important for the CAT exam. In CAT 2020, we have witnessed several questions from Arithmetic and Algebra and almost no questions from Modern Mathematics (Probability and Permutation and Combination). Thus, for the upcoming CAT 2021, the experts from BYJU’S Exam Prep speculate that this section will have more questions from the following topics:
- Mensuration and Geometry
- Number System
- Modern Mathematics
Important Topics for QA Section in CAT 2021
The CAT exam has always been full of surprises. So, it becomes very difficult to say for any particular topic that it can be important for CAT 2021. However, just by seeing the past year trend, our team of experts from BYJU’S Exam Prep, who themselves have appeared for CAT every year, have listed some important topics for the QA section of CAT 2021 which might dominate the QA section in CAT 2021.
- Arithmetic – 10 questions approx.
- Algebra – 8-10 questions
- Geometry and Mensuration – 2-3 questions approx.
- Number System – 2-3 questions approx.
- Modern Mathematics – 0-2 questions approx.
*The data given above is in the case only if there are 26 Qs in the QA section of CAT 2021.
Tips to Prepare QA for CAT 2021
- Candidates must find and use shortcut techniques to solve questions as soon as possible.
- Candidates must clear their basic concepts in all topics. Instead of solving complex questions, you must focus on solving easy examples as it would make your concepts clearer.
- Candidates must learn tables till 30, squares till 25, percentages equivalent to fractions till 20 and cubes till 20. This will save a lot of time while attempting questions in the main exam.
- Questions from this section are a bit time consuming and tricky. So try to solve the easier ones first.
- Attempt as many mock tests as you can before the exam. This will help in improving time management skills as well as accuracy.
- A formula book should be regularly maintained by students from which they can revise the important formulae while revising.
Tips to Ace Questions from QA Section for CAT 2021
Those candidates who wish to ace the QA section of CAT 2021 must follow tips given below which is compiled by our expert faculty for CAT.
- Try and solve the questions as quickly as you can
- Do not stick to a question. If by chance you are not able to solve it, it’s better to leave that question and try solving another question
- Try and solve easier questions first, this will increase your self-confidence and you will be able to concentrate in a better way
- Do NOT attempt all the questions as there is negative marking and you might end up getting a low score due to that
- Use tricks to solve questions in the QA section. This will save your time tremendously and you can attempt more questions