With proper maintenance and care, you won’t have to replace your vehicle tyres before time. Below is some helpful advice on how you can protect and maintain your tyres to make them last long and some information regarding when it is mandatory to get them checked with your auto dealer.
Check Your Tyre Pressure
For a safe and healthy tyre life, you should get your tyres checked after every 2-4 weeks. Although your vehicle manual can tell you the recommended tyre pressure level, you should know how much pressure your tyre exactly requires. Proper inflation pressure is the single most important tip to make your tyre last long.
Below are a few steps which can tell you how to check the tyre pressure yourself.
- Firstly you need a portable tyre gauge.
- Never check the pressure right after the drive. Check it when tyres are cool maybe morning can be appropriate timing.
- Detach the valve of the tyre and place the gauge over the valve
- Check the reading on the gauge and match it with the recommended per square inch (psi)
- Fill your tyres at any nearby local garage.
- Verify your tyre pressure with the gauge and consider the manufacturer’s specifications
- Change the valve caps of all tyres.
If you don’t have enough information regarding how to check the tyre pressure or if the drop in pressure is more than necessary, it’s better that you check it with your dealer.
Pay Attention to Tyre Treads
One of your vehicle’s health indicators is the condition of the treads of your tyres. Check your tyre treads monthly to know any signs of bad health and to know if they require a professional tip-off. If you plan to drive a longer distance, check your tyre treads before and after as well.
Some pointers to look out for
- The bars of any tyre treads are designed to show when they are wearing out, if you see any such sign, pay attention.
- A minimum of 2-3 mm tread depth is required. You tread depth gauge reading can tell you whether or not it’s time for you to buy a new set of tyres.
- Small objects can get stuck in the tread gaps, take them out with care.
- If you observe uneven patches on any of the tyres, you need to show it to a professional to get it fixed.
- If you notice any feather-like appearance on the edges, it’s maybe because of any irregular dragging or rubbing of the tyre; it may require proper positioning.
Replace When Needed
In order to lengthen the life of your tyres, the regular examination is required. The wear out of tyres depends upon many factors like how roughly you’re using your tyre, how well maintained it is, for how long have you been using your tyres, what climate or road are you taking the ride on. However, whether you buy branded expensive tyres or regular tyres, it has to eventually wear out, and you need to replace it.
Two main factors where the tyre replacement is mandatory are,
A, if your tyre is wearing out and B, if it has undergone a ride which shows a visible damage
Rotate Your Tyres
Regular tyre spin can help keep your vehicle handling smoothly. Some professionals suggest that it’s a good idea to rotate them at every second oil replacement.
Can I do a tire rotation myself?
It is not so difficult to do the rotation yourself, and it’s a good idea to learn how it works as the rotation can be needed any time. Also, for this purpose, you don’t need any expertise, only some tactics and time.
You can always look up to the vehicles manual for any certain steps by your vehicle manufacturer.
But if you don’t have time to do it or don’t know how to do it, you can simply go to your dealer or a garage to have professional scrutiny.
These are some tips to maintain tyres. However, if your tyres are old, inspect them weekly or monthly. And, if you feel you need a new set of tyres, don’t shy away from buying one because damaged tyres can cause further damage to your car. You can even buy tires online UAE through a trusted website.