In today’s appearance-centric world, beautiful complexion and smooth skin are the dream of every individual. Historically too, we have had beauties like Helen, Cleopatra and many others go to great extents to nourish their skin, and pamper their looks. Baby-smooth skin is the first step towards flawless beauty.
We are blessed with smooth skin in infancy, but as we grow up, pollutants like dirt, smoke, oil leave their mark. Further, with the onset of puberty, skin eruptions like pimples and acne become perpetual occurrences. These are not only painful and socially embarrassing, what’s worse is these leave behind ugly looking, stubborn scars on the skin. These are a result of post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation or erythema.
Every twenty-something youngster knows that if you have acne marks on your skin, the best skin care products will fail to give you a glowing complexion. So what should you do to get back skin health and complexion?
Here are 6 fail-proof tips to get rid of acne scars:
- Cleanse Skin Thoroughly: Prevention is always better than cure, so make sure you use the right face cleanser. You need to use a cleanser that gently cleans the skin of impurities and excess oil. A cleanser with Salicylic Acid works wonders in minimizing the marks of acne. Salicylic Acid penetrates deep into the skin layers to prevent outbreaks of acne, whiteheads and blackheads.
- Use exfoliating face masks occasionally: Scrubs that contain natural ingredients to exfoliate are definitely preferable for acne-prone skin. Use a scrub with Oat Kernel and Clay that are proven to gently cleanse and detoxify the skin. Clay masks help in acne scar control.
- Use skincare products with Retinol (Vitamin A derivative) and Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs): Doctors recommend retinol and AHAs for treating acne and reducing the appearance of acne scars. Topical retinol blocks inflammation, reduces acne lesions, and speeds up cell regeneration. AHAs are a mild form of acid that scrapes away the outer layer of skin to reveal fresh, new skin underneath. Be careful about using sunscreen diligently while using retinoids, as they make the skin more sensitive to sun damage.
- Use acne treatment solutions with AHAs (Glycolic and Salicylic acid): Glycolic acid helps improve existing brown spots by increasing skin-cell turnover and chemically exfoliating the skin. Skin specialists recommend glycolic acid for its ability to wash away the dead skin cells. Both glycolic and salicylic acid have excellent exfoliating properties.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin E facial serums help: Vitamin C skin care helps rejuvenate and lighten the skin, and is excellent in dealing with hyper-pigmentation. Vitamin E is full of anti-oxidants to repair the damaged skin barrier.
- Use water based moisturizers instead of oil based ones. Oil based serums and moisturizers clog the skin’s pores that then accumulate dirt and sweat. Those with acne prone skin must use water based light moisturizers only. Serum for acne prone skin must be light and non-greasy.
These effective skincare tips ensure you relief from acne scars and hyper-pigmentation marks. You must also protect your skin as far as possible from environmental pollutants and sun damage.
- Wear a sunscreen with high SPF content while going out at daytime. Protection of affected skin from harmful Ultraviolet Rays is an absolute must.
- On appearance of pimples, use tested anti-acne products that help reduce inflammation. Application of ice cubes is helpful too.
- NOT touch, pick or poke the spot. Good hygiene is a must to prevent further breakouts.
We wish you clean and glowing skin!