Water softeners like any other home appliance require regular service and maintenance to function properly. Failure to do so can result in a number of problems, including decreased efficiency, increased water bills, and even complete system failure.
If you suspect your water softener in Provo needs service, here are 10 signs to look for:
- Your water bill has increased significantly. This means your water softener is not working as efficiently as it should be and is using more water than necessary. This could be due to a number of factors, including a build-up of minerals in the system, a clogged filter, or simply old age.
- The water from your tap is no longer as soft as it used to be. This is a sure sign that your water softener is not working properly and needs to be serviced. You can determine the hardness of your water by purchasing a simple water test kit from your local hardware store.
- You notice a build-up of scale on your fixtures and appliances. If there are visible signs of scale buildup, it’s likely that your water softener is not removing all of the hardness from your water. This can lead to decreased efficiency and increased water bills.
- Your pipes are beginning to make strange noises. If you notice any banging, humming, or other unusual sounds coming from your pipes, it could be a sign that it needs maintenance.
- You have unexplained skin irritations. If you notice that your skin is becoming irritated for no apparent reason, it could be due to the hard water. Hard water can cause dryness and itching, and it can also make existing skin conditions worse.
- Your hair is dry and brittle. Just like your skin, hard water can also cause your hair to become dry and brittle. If you’ve noticed a change in your hair texture or quality, it’s a good idea to have your water softener serviced.
- Your laundry isn’t as clean as it used to be. Hard water can leave behind a film on your clothes that makes them appear dull and dingy. If you notice that your laundry isn’t as bright and clean as it used to be, it’s likely due to hard water.
- You have spots on your dishes. Another sign of hard water is spots on your dishes after they’ve been washed. This film can build up over time and make your dishes appear dirty, even if they’ve been washed.
- Your water heater isn’t working as efficiently as it used to. Hard water can also cause your water heater to work less efficiently, resulting in higher energy bills. If you notice that your water bill has increased or that your water isn’t as hot as it used to be, it’s a good idea to have your water softener serviced.
- You’re not getting as much use out of your water softener as you used to. If you find that you’re not using your water softener as much as you used to, it might be due for a service. This is especially true if it’s been a while since you’ve had it serviced.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s a good idea to have your water softener serviced by a professional. Doing so can help to extend the life of your system and keep it working properly for years to come.